Saturday, January 31, 2009

David Letterman's Mea Culpa


Wracked with guilt, David Letterman apologized profusely Friday night about censoring Bill Hicks 15 years earlier on The Late Show. "I'm sorry that I did it," he said several times. "It was a mistake... The decision was mine."
Letterman aired the censored five-minute standup segment from Oct. 1, 1993 and interviewed Hicks' mom Mary, who stated, "I will tell you it was a very hard time 15 years ago when that happened."
Letterman reportedly was offended by Hicks' Jesus jibe, but on the show he chose not to be specific, calling it "an error of judgement on my part. I made the decision I think born of insecurity more than anything else. I said I don't think we want to have that on the show. So we removed it from the show.
"Seeing it now raises the question, what was the matter with me?" Letterman went on. "What was I thinking? This says more about me as a guy than it says about Bill because there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's just perfect."
The Texan-born comic appeared on Late Night 11 times. "We always loved Bill," Letterman added. "He was tremendously funny with a great energy. We just got a big kick out of him." Hicks died of pancreatic cancer on February 26, 1994. He was 32.
more video...Part 1 HERE ...Part 2 HERE
CBS transcript & video HERE

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home