Sunday, January 22, 2006

We remember 1987!

This weekend I was watching a video of Lt.Col. Oliver North testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings during the Reagan Administration.

There was Ollie in front of God and country getting the third degree, but what he said was facinating!

He was being drilled by a senator; "Did you not recently spend close to $60,000 for a home security system?" Ollie replied, "Yes, I did, Sir."

The senator continued, trying to get a laugh out of the audience, "Isn't that just a little excessive?"

"No, sir," continued Ollie. "No? And why not?" the senator asked. "Because the lives of my family and I were threatened, sir."

"Threatened? By whom?" the senator questioned.

"By a terrorist, sir" Ollie answered. "Terrorist? What terrorist could possibly scare you that much?"

"His name is Osama bin Laden, sir" Ollie replied.

At this point the senator tried to repeat the name, but couldn't pronounce it, which most people back then probably couldn't. A couple of people laughed at the attempt. Then the senator continued. Why are you so afraid of this man?" the senator asked.

"Because, sir, he is the most evil person alive that I know of", Ollie answered.

"And what do you recommend we do about him?" asked the senator. "Well, sir, if it was up to me, I would recommend that an assassin team be formed to eliminate him and his men from the face of the earth."

The senator disagreed with this approach.

FYI, that senator was Al Gore.

A year after Ollie testified I had the pleasure of meeting him while he was on a book tour, after standing in line for a rather long time with some of the strangest RIGHT WING NUTS I came face to face with Ollie, he looked up at me and said " WHY ARE YOU HERE?" I answered.

"Pretty funny huh?", to which he replied ya, the sort of people who come to see me, well, THEY AREN'T YOU" and he smiled, apparently he can spot a liberal a mile away, or maybe the tye-dye shirt gave me away...

Our exchange continued, Ollie then repeated his original question, to which I answered , "you and I are politically as far apart as 2 people could probably be", he agreed, "but I have no issue with my tax dollars being spent on a security system for your home Ollie... That was political bullshit", Ollie then stood up (his security detail moved closer), he put his hand out, we shook hands and he thanked me for understanding....the end...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home